Resume of Peter Vervoorn
Address: 132 Onkaparinga Valley Rd, Woodside SA 5244
Postal: PO Box 240 Aldgate, 5154 South Australia
Telephone: (08) 8389-7973
Mobile: 042 777 1999
- Help develop economically viable and ecologically sustainable civilization employing best practice management and technology systems.
- Promote appropriate knowledge, skills, attitudes, values and beliefs in management and employment.
- Focus on the purpose of business and social organization: to help satisfy reasonable human needs, wants and potential via the synergy of specialization, trade, cooperation, mutual service; and competition to the extent required to develop the best products & services and to eliminate the redundant.
Over 25 years of maintaining unbroken confidentiality in respect of private information gained from privileged access to clients' computer systems and data; including defence and national security secrets, patents, intellectual property, trade secrets, medical and dental records, student records, customer databases, business plans, financial records, marketing strategies, banking details and passwords,
KEY KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- 40 years extensive business management, consulting and supervisory experience
- 27 years developing & managing IT businesses, wholesale, retail & consulting
- 17 years head computer technician and W2K systems administrator
- Comprehensive knowledge of computer industry at wholesale and retail levels
- Life cycle systems analysis, business analysis & systems development
- Design, build, support, problem solve, repair, maintain computers & networks
- Certified Microsoft partner and AMD system builder, Cisco experience
- Thorough knowledge of most common hardware, software and O/S
- Project manage significant system installations/roll-outs
- Significant exposure to ITIL/ITSM, best practices in several fields
- Strong budgeting, financial analysis, database and spreadsheet skills
- Reasonable marketing skills geared to targeted SA markets
- Supervise, train staff from production, sales, repairs, accounting to cleaning
- Good communication skills, internationally published author
- Customer focus and ability to manage client relationships at all levels
- Develop objectives consistent with broader social and corporate purpose
- Resolve impediments, threats and constraints to goals at root cause level
- Human belief systems, social infrastructure and social purpose
- Research, plan, write, edit books, manuscripts, reports, web sites, etc.
- Trade qualifications as maintenance fitter
- Planning skills and project management experience
2008 – Current Adelaide Hills Computers – Adelaide SA
Proprietor - Semi-retired
Started a computer repair business in Woodside after the expiry of a non competition clause in the contract for the sale of Aldgate Computers. The business draws customers from a large volume of passing traffic on Onkaparinga Valley Road with only an A frame OPEN sign for advertising..
All sorts of ITC support ranging from malware removal to network administration. Some continuing ad hoc work supporting primary school networks in the Adelaide Hills.
Giving some thought to the possibility of traveling and working around Australia in a caravan with only an A frame sign to attract business..
October 2010 – 2014 Department of Education and Child Development (DECD)
Computer Systems Manager
Ensure the operational reliability and effectiveness of the Administration and Curriculum networks for two Schools, Flinders View Primary School and Port Augusta West Primary School from October 2010 to February 2012. From March 2012, ensure the operational reliability and effectiveness of the Administration and Curriculum networks for Crafers Primary School, Upper Sturt Primary School and Lenswood Primary School.
Server 2008 R2 and Server 2003 R2 administration
HP, Dell, ASI, Acer, IBM & Custom Server support
Active Directory, DNS, DHCP, WDS, WSUS, File & Print Services
Global and group policy management
Remote server/network management via VPN
McAfee antivirus and content filter management
Storage and backup management
Workstation/printer installation/maintenance, problem solving
School wide Cisco wireless network installations
3COM, H3C and Cisco switch configuration and management
VLAN and switch port configuration
Cat6 cable and Fibre installation, testing
Educonnect administration and Learnlink rollover
EDSAS school management software support
Dual ISP installation
Apache for XP, ISA cache/proxy server support
2007 – 2008 Vervoorn Consulting – Adelaide SA
In February 2006 I sold Aldgate Computers. I signed a non-competition contract with the purchaser to stay out of the computer industry in South Australia for two years, expiring on 1 March 2008. I took a 12 month traveling vacation to re-evaluate my priorities, before deciding on a more physically active occupation as a courier for about 18 months to improve my fitness and energy.
Decided there was more money for less effort, pain and expensive vehicle maintenance in computer repairs.
1993 – 2006 Aldgate Computers, Problem Solving Pty Ltd, Adelaide Hills Computers, Adelaide Hills Consulting – Aldgate, SA
Proprietor & Manager
- Built the leading computer business in the Adelaide Hills from startup.
- Employed and directed teams of between 5 and 12 sales and technical staff
- Microsoft Certified Professional/Systems Builder/Integrator, Cisco experience
- Hands on general management of retail, repair and consulting business
- Design, build, install and support computer systems, LANS, ISPs
- Resolve the full spectrum of client computer problems presented in 20 years
- Operated Photoshop BBS server with over 200 dial up clients
- Pinnacle, OLIS and Triple I Internet services with over 300 dial-up clients
- Supply, administer and maintain client network servers, 10 – 100 workstations
- Build, configure and support application, storage, intranet, Internet & email servers
- Configure DHCP, DNS, routing, terminal server, switching and NT access and security systems
- Designed and project managed investment software development
- Diverse government, corporate, small business and end-user clients
- Project manage several significant systems roll-outs for schools and businesses
- Provided Solaris and database expertise to Western Mining at Roxby Downs
- Flown to London to resolve network problems in SA Agent General’s office.
1990 – 1992 Trident Computer Industries Pty Ltd – Hornsby NSW
SA State Manager
- Two year contract to establish and develop the state branch of national computer manufacturer and component supplier employing five staff
- Took turnover from 0 to $5 million.
- General management of all sales and administrative functions
- Novell LAN/WAN administration, server maintenance
- Develop and provide technical support to extensive dealer network
1983 – 1990 Peter Vervoorn Consulting – Adelaide SA
- Contracted in 1989 by Angus & Robertson to research and write a book called How to Run a Business From Your Home1990 ISBN 0207156514
- Updated second edition, published by Harper Collins 1994 ISBN 0732250382
- Chapters include Business Overview, Getting Started, SWOT Analysis, Business Planning, Developing Options, Realistic Attitudes, Knowledge & Skills, Record Keeping, Business Law, Technology, Problem Solving & Decision Making, Marketing, Growth, Personal Aspects, Information and Assistance, Contingency Planning.
- Out of print but stocked by Australian, New Zealand and Indonesian libraries.
- Listed as a collectible book and sold via antique book shops.
- A section of the 1994 book on personal planning was adopted as a consulting program for MBA graduates by the University of New England.
- Copy of book requested by Prof. N Klimov, Deputy Director, Institute of Economics, USSR Academy of Sciences for post Soviet business studies.
- Help evaluate and select NEIS applicants for Options Australia.
- Edited and published a 200 volume report on Sustainable Farming in Somalia for World Bank written by Richard Holt, dry land farming specialist.
- Researched, designed, wrote and tested the prototype database software upon which Centennial Park and Enfield Cemetery management systems are based.
1977 – 1983 Sumus Fine Art, Dimonds Arts & Gifts – Adelaide SA
Proprietor & Manager
- Set up four successful manufacturing/wholesale and retail picture framing, art importing and gift shops in partnership with wife.
- General management, purchasing, picture framing, retailing
1969 – 1976 World Travel – AU, NZ, USA, UK, EU, ME, SEA
Wide variety of jobs, self-employed ventures
- Various entrepreneurial activities
- Exposure to many industries, countries, cultures, classes and belief systems.
- Prevented armed robbery while in charge of security on Israeli film set
- Operated profitable self-employed chauffeur service in UK
1964-1968 Hawker Dehavilland – Lidcombe NSW
Apprentice Maintenance Fitter
- Mechanical engineering background in defence and aviation industry
- Installation and repair of typical engineering plant, lathes, mills, grinders
- Experience with heat treatment plant, metallurgy labs, boilers, sand blasting equipment, hydraulic systems, missile test rigs, jet engine test rigs, early computer systems, CNC machines
- Installed early punch card computer system
1960 – 1964 Homebush Boys High School
1964 – 1968 Granville TAFE, Mechanical Engineering
1968 - 1969 Sydney TAFE, Marine Engineering
1964 – 1968 Theosophical Society, Eastern and occult perspectives of reality
1977 – 1990 Self schooled, Various Business, Management & Accounting studies
1984 – 2010 Self schooled, Various Information Technology studies
Stay abreast of developments in various fields of science in technology; economic, ecological and social sustainability; population related issues; geology, energy, transport and primary industries; computer systems, human belief systems, alternative news sites, social purpose, human needs, wants and potential; social infrastructure, business, economics; American, Chinese and global politics; intelligence and defence strategies and tactics.
Microsoft Partner 2010 - 2017
Microsoft System Builder 2000 - 2017
AMD System Builder 2000 - 2017
Woodside Chamber of Commerce 2008 - 2009
Federation of American Scientists, Member 2004 – 2008
The Sumus Trust, Trustee 1996 - 2015
ADF Reserve 4th NSW Regiment. Member 1967 – 1968
REFEREES AVAILABLE ON REQUEST